Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Little Prince

The Little Prince    *****
by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and Richard Howard

I heard about this classic story and was excited to read it to my girls. However, I was disappointed to find that the story was a bit boring for them. In the story, a pilot crashes in the desert and meets a boy from another planet. The two talk and form a friendship. I did enjoy some of the deeper meaning behind the story but my girls, aged 9 and younger, didn't get the full meaning.

The story was originally written in French in 1943 and since then translated a few times. I read the newest translation from 2000. I later read some reviews that said a lot of the poetry was lost in the most recent translation. So, maybe when the girls are a bit older, we will try reading it again in the original English translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment