Sunday, June 21, 2015

Cinder

Cinder  *****
by Marissa Meyer

We found this book through a middle school book club that my husband and I are participating in. I was pleasantly surprised by how much we both enjoyed it. It is a very creative retelling of Cinderella. Cinder is a cyborg, which is part robot, part human. The story takes place way in the future in China. We both felt like the setting was a bit unbelievable. The author was trying to place us in China along with the characters, but it just didn't work. Besides that, the story was fast paced and interesting. You didn't want to put down the book. The story had some great twists and turns, too. Near the end I could guess what was going to happen, but I was enjoying the story so I didn't mind being able to guess the end. This book is the beginning of a series, and I look forward to reading more. It is perfect, carefree reading for the beach in the summer. 
We didn't read this one to our young children. It's a clean book, but the subject matter is more appropriate for middle schoolers and up with a few sappy love moments, deaths of family and friends, and general family dysfunction.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment