Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Magnolia Story

The Magnolia Story *****
by Chip and Joanna Gaines

Overview: Chip and Joanna Gaines became famous when HGTV picked up their story of fixing up houses together and created a TV show Fixer Upper about them. This book is the story of their marriage, their family, and their businesses.

Chip and Joanna take turns "talking" in the story. So the whole book feels like a conversation with both of them weighing in and sharing about their lives.

Positive elements: Funny, well-written, and encouraging to see how they work together in their marriage.

Negative elements: None

Conclusion: I read this book in an afternoon with my husband. My husband and I have so many similarities in personalities to Chip and Joanna that we just laughed our way through the whole book. It felt like we had sat down with them for an afternoon and heard about all God has done in their lives. My husband enjoyed hearing about all the crazy houses they bought and fixed up. And I loved hearing about Joanna's designing and her finding balance between work and family. She also shares about the struggle of having a beautiful, clean house and the realities of four children running around. So many things I can relate to. I was also reminded to celebrate the ways God has gifted my husband and encourage him in those areas. 

I would highly recommend this book to anyone...whether or not they have watched Fixer Upper. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment